The Data Innovation Lab is part of the Smart Airport Data value stream of the Digital Airport Program at Schiphol Group. We are a team of data scientists, data engineers and data consultants, which primary purpose is to help Schiphol become the world’s best digital airport by building data products and services based on machine learning models and advanced analytics. In order to enable this transformation, we are building a cloud data lake in Microsoft Azure. There we need your help.
What will you do as a Data Engineer?
As a Data Engineer at one of the world's premier airports you will help us build this production grade cloud environment. You will work together with architects, data scientists and business owners to design, build and manage our cloud data lake and analytics environment. You'll be responsible for the development, implementation, test and maintenance of data products and services on Microsoft Azure. You will work closely together with various (internal) business stakeholders and data scientists. You see yourself as a developer (python, scala) and have the willingness to learn more languages if needed. Your main activities will be:
- Identify technical needs of the organisation;
- Design, implement and test cloud based data infrastructure;
- Convert data product prototypes to data products.
Schiphol heeft de ambitie om de wereld dichterbij te brengen. Wij willen één van de meest toonaangevende luchthaven ondernemingen zijn. Een commercieel bedrijf met een ondernemende bedrijfsvoering en een maatschappelijke functie, 24 uur per dag, 7 dagen per week. Onze medewerkers, in totaal 2.000, zijn van groot belang in het bereiken van ons doel: Europe’s preferred airport.
Royal Schiphol Group brings the world within reach. We connect the Netherlands with the rest of the world, thus creating value for the economy and society. Achieving this involves over 2,000 employees working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our ambition is to develop Schiphol into Europe’s Preferred Airport, both for passengers and for airlines. IT contributes to this by making Schiphol the best digital airport – in the world! How? Through smart digital solutions. And that's why we need you.
As a next-generation professional you have a clear vision, courage and focus. Innovation and agile working are an absolute priority. You improve yourself every day so that you can be the best. You are introspective and resilient. You believe that creating a good atmosphere is essential for a successful, respectful and welcoming workplace. We are still a small team so we’ll be looking for a real ‘click’/connection. Your natural approachability enables you to connect with people. You are passionate about your work, and are curious and open to new developments, with a mindset keyed to possibilities and opportunities. If you meet the below requirements, then we look forward to receiving your application!
- You have perseverance, curiosity and a data-driven mindset. Quitting on problems is no option and you deal with set-backs;
- We believe in BSC, MSc or PhD degrees;
- You have production experience in building data products, data pipelines, configuration management, CI/CD flows and know how to implement them ideally in Microsoft Azure. Brownie points if you have deployed machine learning models in production;
- You’re analytical and a content expert in Data Engineering work field i.e. you know which techniques to apply to problems at hand and to structure the approach accordingly;
- You are well versed in at least one of the following: Python, Scala, Java;
- You are confident in Hadoop tools like Spark, Hive and Sqoop;
- You have an advanced knowledge level of Azure managed services like HDInsight, DataFactory, Cosmos DB, EventHubs, Api management and Azure ResourceManager/Automation;
- You understand database language SQL/no_SQL. Knowledge in Machine Learning and/or Mathematics/Statistics will be nice to have;
- You are fluent in English and can explain your work to a non-technical audience. Knowledge of the Dutch language is a plus.
- This is a 36 hour a week position, where working 4 days and 9 hours per day is possible.
- You can expect a competitive salary in scale 11 (i.e. check Schiphol CAO schaal 11 on Google to get your salary indication) and great secondary benefits;
- We give you opportunities for development on a professional and personal level. For example, there is a personal long-term employability budget (for e.g. training, coaching, fitness and leave) and a Bring Your Own Device budget;
- Flexible working hours allow you to determine your own optimal work-life balance;
- In an inspiring work environment you'll work on innovative projects with colleagues who are genuinely proud of their contribution to Europe's Preferred Airport.
We look forward to your application. Please use the button to directly apply online.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact Julio Peironcely, Lead Data Scientist, at Julio.Peironcely@schiphol.nl
For questions about the application process, please contact our Recruiter, Gretsen de Jong, at Gretsen.email@example.com
An assignment and/or an assessment could be part of the recruitment process.
Please do not make use of this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.